Recently, I asked my coach what had helped her to maintain such a good memory. She replied, " I don't do as much as I should, but the way in which I process information has helped me. I am a visual person so I use mind maps." This conversation took place as my coaching session was about to end. There was only one way to satisfy my curiosity. Two days later, I began my research.
One of the major concerns that most people have about their old age, is that their memories will deteriorate. While genetics do play a part, research has shown that leading a healthy lifestyle and developing certain habits can make a difference. Cultivating a good memory is a skill that can be learnt and practised.
Research reveals the following helpful tips :
1. Establish a routine. Be organized.
2. Get sufficient good quality sleep every night.
3. Follow a healthy eating plan which should include the following : berries, leafy green vegetables, healthy fats such as olive oil, nuts and oily fish such as salmon, as sources of Omega 3, herbs such as rosemary and spices such as tumeric and whole grains. Drink water, green tea and a little red wine, grape or cranberry juice. Sugar and saturated fats should be avoided.
4. Exercise regularly.
5. Manage stress. Yoga and meditation are helpful.
6. Pursue a hobby.
7. Socialize with friends.
8. Listen to music.
9. Sing, dance and laugh.
10.. Establish a brain work-out.
11. Take steps to enhance learning and memory. Write things down, draw pictures or use a mnemonic such as an acronym to make it easier to memorize something.
To strengthen our brains, we need to continue learning and developing new skills. Choose something new and challenging that starts off easy and at which you can progressively improve. Reward yourself along the way so that you find it easier to persevere until you finally feel the benefits of having learnt this new skill.
" Once you stop learning, you start dying," said Albert Einstein.
Which new skill would you like to learn?
What method do you use to memorize something important?
In what way could you boost your brain power today?
Copyright Untapped Potential 2020 | Life Coaching Somerset West | firstname.lastname@example.org | 082 895 3885
Developed & maintained by Smashing.